A London bus driver has died after he was attacked on Battersea Bridge.

Sergei Krajev, 64, was taken to hospital by air ambulance after he was found critically injured on the south London crossing at about 00:30 BST on Monday.

The Metropolitan Police said the 64-year-old had died on Tuesday. In a statement, his family described him as a "wonderful husband, father, and grandfather".

Gary Jones, 32, of Hospital Bridge Road, Twickenham, has previously appeared in court charged with causing grievous bodily harm and was remanded in custody.

Police previously said the assault had happened on a pavement outside the bus, which had been stationary at a stop.

The Met said it had now launched a murder investigation following Krajev's death.

His family described the Transport for London driver as a "thoughtful, tactful, and conscientious person who cared about those around him".

They said: "In his role as a bus driver, he was punctual, reliable and willing to help. He valued good relationships with his colleagues and approached his duties with care and dedication."

Det Insp Sarah Lee, who is leading the investigation, said: "We recognise the concern this will cause within the local community and among those who work across our public transport network.

"We want to reassure those impacted that our officers are working closely with Transport for London as part of our investigation."

She added the force was "continuing to appeal for anyone with information to come forward".

Jones was remanded in custody when he appeared at appeared at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court on Monday.

He is next due to appear at Kingston Crown Court on 15 June.

Listen to the best of BBC Radio London on Sounds and follow BBC London on Facebook, X and Instagram. Send your story ideas to hello.bbclondon@bbc.co.uk

A bus driver, 64, is in hospital after a serious assault in Battersea in the early hours.

Luke Rapela is commended for chasing a knifeman threatening to kill him, to protect two women.

Sensors picked up small changes to movement on the Grade II listed bridge.

Albert Bridge, which was already closed to vehicles, is now shut to pedestrians and cyclists after an inspection.

Concerns were raised about the 150-year-old crossing following a routine maintenance inspection.