Seven men have been charged with a total of 40 offences as part of an investigation into group-based child exploitation.

Norfolk Police said the men - six aged 20 and one aged 21 - were all Afghan nationals and were arrested on Wednesday following raids on six addresses in Norwich and one in Dumbarton.

The charges relate to two girls, aged in their early to mid-teens at the time of the alleged offences, and are said to have happened between August 2023 and May 2025 in Norwich.

All seven men spoke only to confirm their names when they appeared before magistrates in Norwich earlier.

Police said the men's immigration status was "refugee".

Five of the defendants entered the country on small boats, according to the police.

One came to the UK concealed on a lorry and another arrived via a port.

None of them had lived at asylum hotels in Norfolk, nor did the alleged offences happen at a hotel housing asylum seekers, the force added.

Natalie Fleet, Minister for Safeguarding and Violence Against Women and Girls, said: "These are hideous cases and the fact that the suspects arrived through illegal routes only underlines their shocking nature.

"My thoughts are with the victims and their families.

"Anyone convicted of these crimes must face the full force of the law, and this government is clear that vile foreign criminals have no place in the UK."

Norfolk Police said an eighth man, aged 19, had been arrested in Ireland on Friday as part of the investigation.

The following men were remanded in custody and will appear at Norwich Crown Court on June 19:

Det Supt Stacey Murray, who is leading the investigation for Norfolk Police, said: "I want to reassure everyone that we are being meticulous in our approach to this investigation."

Bali Hoxha, a Kosovan soldier, will remain in custody while prosecutors decide on a retrial.

Mike Marshall left school at 15 with no qualifications but now has his sights set on a Masters.

The MP and locals say the development in Taverham is going to cause traffic problems.

Bali Hoxha claims the woman initiated sex with him in Norwich and invited him home.

Jago Cooper says the donation "secures the future" of the Sainsbury Centre.