Press
Slow Food founder Carlo Petrini dies aged 76 in Italy
Images
Slow Food pioneer Carlo Petrini, who spent four decades promoting sustainable food production and traditional cooking, has died aged 76 in his Italian hometown. He founded the movement with a small group of friends in the countryside following protests against the opening of Italy's first McDonald's in 1986. It quickly spread through the country and eventually expanded into more than 160 others, with Petrini as its president. He became friends with King Charles III and the late Pope Francis through his campaigning. Announcing his death, the organisation said Petrini had been a visionary who "brought to life a global movement rooted in the values of good, clean, and fair food for all". His work connected "communities, farmers, food artisans, cooks, activists, and young people across the world", it added. Italian President Sergio Mattarella said his death left a "huge void not only in the world of food and wine science, but also in society as a whole, and not just in Italy". Petrini, who was a journalist, set up the grassroots movement under the name Arcigola shortly after demonstrations against McDonald's opening a restaurant in Rome's Piazza di Spagna. By 1989, the Slow Food Manifesto was signed by over 20 global delegates - pledging to "escape the tediousness of fast-food" by "defending old-fashioned food traditions". The movement emphasises quality, environmental sustainability and equitable conditions for producers. His work saw him become friends with King Charles, as the pair bonded over their shared beliefs in fresh and sustainable food. And in 2013, Petrini said he was "surprised" when Pope Francis telephoned him after he had sent him a book and a letter. He told Italian newspaper La Repubblica: "Our phone conversation ended, with wishes of good health and a mutual embrace. "A world in which one can fraternally embrace a Pope is truly a beautiful world." He died on Thursday in Bra, a town in Italy's north-western Piedmont region, Slow Food said. The Reuters news agency reported that he had in recent years been diagnosed with cancer. Taoiseach Micheál Martin was due to discuss the ongoing process of reconciliation on the island of Ireland with the Pope. A wrap party for the upcoming film Three Incestuous Sisters fell foul of Stromboli's no music on Wednesdays rule. France and Italy are among the countries that have criticised a video showing Itamar Ben-Gvir taunting dozens of activists detained at an Israeli port. The two were among five Italian nationals who drowned in last week's scuba diving accident in the Maldives. The bodies of all five Italian divers who died in the Maldives last week have now been found, officials tell the BBC.