A 13-year-old boy reportedly got into difficulty while swimming off Hornsea, East Yorkshire

A body has been found in the search for a teenager who went missing off the East Yorkshire coast, police have confirmed.

Emergency services were called to the South Promenade, in Hornsea, at about 18:00 BST on Tuesday after reports that a 13-year-old boy had got into difficulty while swimming.

Police said an "extensive search operation" had involved teams from HM Coastguard, Yorkshire Ambulance Service, and Humberside Fire and Rescue. Crews from Hornsea Inshore Rescue and the RNLI also attended.

Ch Supt Phil Booker said: "This is an incredibly heartbreaking outcome, and our thoughts are with the boy's family and friends at this devastating time."

Police say a number of agencies were involved in the search operation

Police said a body was recovered at about 04:30 on Wednesday, but formal identification had not taken place.

They added the boy's family had been informed, and were being supported by officers.

Booker said: "We know the sadness and concern this will cause in the community, and we would ask that the family's privacy is respected during this incredibly difficult time.

"I would like to thank all of the emergency services involved in the search, along with members of the public for their support and cooperation."

Searches continued overnight before a body was found at about 04:30

Humberside Police said the death was not being treated as suspicious, and a file would be passed to the coroner.

Listen to highlights from Hull and East Yorkshire on BBC Sounds, watch the latest episode of Look North.

Your Voice

Download the BBC News app from the App Store, external for iPhone and iPad or Google Play, external for Android devices

Major search for boy, 13, missing at sea

Humberside Police

HM Coastguard