yahoo Press
Mark Kelly: Trump decision to reduce joint military exercises with South Korea ‘shortsighted and a mistake’
Images
Sen. Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.), a retired U.S. Navy captain, blasted President Trump's decision to reduce joint military exercises in South Korea as "shortsighted" and a "mistake." "North and South Korea are still technically at war," Kelly wrote Sunday in a post on the social platform X. "Our ability to help defend our ally against the North Koreans is because our forces are well trained and able to coordinate with the South Koreans." "Hollowing out these joint exercises is shortsighted and a mistake," he added, in line with other Democratic lawmakers who have pushed back on the drawdown. Trump earlier Sunday directed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to "substantially reduce" the joint military exercises with South Korea. The annual joint exercises, known as Ulchi Freedom Shield, began Monday and are expected to run until Aug. 27 with a focus on modern warfare threats like cyberattacks, drone activity and GPS disruption. While Kelly referred to threats posed to Seoul by North Korea, Trump said the latter country led by dictator Kim Jong Un has been "unthreatening and respectful" throughout his administration. "These exercises are not only costly … but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile," the president wrote on Truth Social. Sen. Andy Kim (D-N.J.) said the move signals a "disregard" for the relationship developed with South Korea. "Decisions about joint exercises need to be made jointly — and not announced unilaterally by social media," Kim wrote online. "I will continue to press this administration to strengthen our security, economic, trade, and technology ties – which all benefit the American people and the broader Indo-Pacific region." "South Korea is an essential partner in peace and security in a part of the world filled with risk; we should treat them that way instead of venting frustration on social media," the New Jersey Democrat added. Former Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.), who has been a vocal critic of Trump since leaving Congress in 2023, also said reducing U.S. troop participation in South Korea is the wrong move. "This is how American alliances get destroyed — and how you convince countries like South Korea and Japan that they may need nuclear weapons of their own," Kinzinger wrote in a post on X. "The damage from this could last generations," he said. Upon Trump's return to office in 2025, he outlined efforts to increase "burden-sharing" on the part of Japan and South Korea in terms of their preparedness to defend themselves from nearby adversaries. The National Security Strategy released by the administration last year reads, "We must urge these countries to increase defense spending, with a focus on the capabilities — including new capabilities — necessary to deter adversaries and protect the First Island Chain." Copyright 2026 Nexstar Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to The Hill.