Jannik Sinner won his sole US Open title in 2024

World number one Jannik Sinner has pulled out of the upcoming US Open with a knee injury.

The 25-year-old Italian has not played competitively since winning the Wimbledon title in July.

Sinner's decision comes a day after his great rival Carlos Alcaraz announced he is competing at Flushing Meadows following a four-month absence with a wrist injury.

With the Spaniard sidelined, Sinner has dominated the men's tour in 2026 and stands comfortably clear at the top of the world rankings.

Sinner lifted his fifth career Grand Slam singles title by beating Alexander Zverev in the All England Club final.

"Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year," he said.

"We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue.

"I'm obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart."

The making of Jannik Sinner

Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out

Sinner holds off Zverev to defend Wimbledon title

Sinner claimed the second Grand Slam title of his career when he won the US Open in 2024 and reached the New York final again last year when he was beaten by Alcaraz.

Sinner and Alcaraz produced a clean sweep of the Grand Slam titles in 2024 and 2025, winning four majors apiece in a duopoly which has morphed into a generational duel.

However, the pair's rivalry has been unable to reach the same heights and intensity.

Sinner's withdrawal means the pair have not both been present at the past three Grand Slams, with Alcaraz's wrist problem forcing him out of the French Open and Wimbledon.

At the season-opening Australian Open, Sinner's shock loss to an inspired Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals stopped a fourth Grand Slam final in a row between him and the 23-year-old Alcaraz.

Three of last year's four major finals were contested by Sinner and Alcaraz, as well as the end-of-season ATP Finals, which served to underline how far clear they were of their rivals in the men's game.

This year, the pair have gone head-to-head only once.

Sinner beat Alcaraz in April's Monte Carlo final which ensured the Italian reclaimed the top spot in the world rankings - a place which he has not looked like relinquishing since.

In his absence, Germany's Zverev will be the top seed at Flushing Meadows, ahead of Alcaraz and Canadian third seed Felix Auger-Aliassime.

The US Open singles main draws start on Sunday 30 August.

How did Sinner become the best in the world? Watch on YouTube

Seeing the greatest talents go head-to-head at the biggest tournaments - when they are fit, healthy and playing at their peak - is what every sports fan wants.

But, for the third successive Grand Slam tournament, those who love tennis have been deprived of seeing the two standout stars of the men's game in the same draw.

On Thursday, they were given the gift of Alcaraz announcing he was fit to play in New York after a long spell on the sidelines. Sinner's withdrawal on Friday took away some of that joy.

His news was perhaps even more surprising. It seemed like not playing in Cincinnati was simply a precautionary move to ensure he was fully fit for Flushing Meadows.

The exact nature of his knee injury - and the extent of the issue - has not been disclosed by the Italian, although BBC Sport has been told by a member of Sinner's team it is not a problem that requires surgery.

After taking an extended break post-Wimbledon, Sinner returned to the practice courts at the end of July, but this week's sessions have shown he is not at the required level to withstand the gruelling nature of a Grand Slam campaign.

It appears to be another example of a top star taking the short-term pain of missing a marquee event in order for the long-term gain of protecting their body in an ever-demanding sport.

Sinner will now spend more time having rehab and practice sessions at home in Monte Carlo as he targets a return to the ATP Tour for the Asian hard-court swing in October.

Live scores, results and order of play

Get tennis news sent straight to your phone